Erik will discuss how to refine our ability to accurately describe beer characteristics, especially those derived from fermentation. This presentation includes some content from his paid course Building a Descriptive Vocabulary (no scheduled classes).
Content will include:
- Commercial Calibration: Sierra Nevada Summerfest
- Fermentation attributes
- Myths and Reality When Judging
- Clarity, is it yeast derived
- Non-yeast sources of turbidity
- Attenuation, yeast and the mash
- Flavors and Aromas
- Positive flavors (esters, phenols)
- Off-flavors (emphasis on diacetyl)
- Question and Answer
Erik has been with White Labs since 2014. Before coming to White Labs, he worked for: a prominent regional brewery, a nano-brewery, and several beer and wine focused retail outlets. He has led staff and customer education classes on beverage service, history, and pairing. Erik holds his Cicerone® certification as well as a certificate in the Business of Craft Beer from San Diego State University. His objective is to use his knowledge and experience to make fermentation and service education informative, accessible, and interesting to professionals and hobbyists alike.